Visit us at Station Logde

Station Lodge
Lodge Lane Industrial Estate
Tuxford, Notts, NG22 0NL
Tel: 07930 557601

Site Navigation

Home
Baseboards
'N' Gauge Train Sets
'OO' Gauge Train Sets
Locomotive Repairs
Ballasting
Controllers
Layout Planning
Enquiry Form
Request Quotation
Customer Feedback
Recent Projects
Sales Pages
Super Neo Magnets
Special Offers
Contact Us
SHOP
Opening Times
How to Find Us
Tuxford Works
Links
Special Trains

Contact Us via Email

This page was last updated on
09 August 2013

We accept Credit Card Payments with PayPal Here

Authorised
Authorised PECO Stockists
Stockist

Hornby Model Railways, Locomotives, Sets, Rolling Stock etc  etc

REALTRACK Models
Super Neo Magnets
Large range of N and OO scale Card Building Kits
Model Scene Range of 4mm Accessories (formerly marketed under the MERIT trade name)
Wills Building Kits and Materials
Ratio Plastic Kits on OO and N Gauges
K&M Trees and Scenic Materials

Made in England

We accept Credit Card Payments with PayPal Here

Tuxford Wagon Works

We are very fortunate in having our workshop and shop in a former railway building.   The offices were built in 1897 by the Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway (LD&ECR) as part of Tuxford Wagon Works.

As its name suggests, the railway was originally intended to link Manchester with the East Coast at Sutton-on-Sea.  Ultimately, only the section of the line between Chesterfield and Lincoln was actually constructed and this was absorbed into the Great Central Railway in 1907.  The works at Tuxford, which were responsible for the maintenance of the fleet of wagons and coaches, closed over 50 years ago.  However, most of the workshops, including the office building, still survive as part of Lodge Lane Industrial Estate.   The site office, which was built in a similar style to that of the station buildings along the route, was home to the Chief Mechanical Engineers of the line and various office staff.

We have been collecting images of the works during its operating days and since closure and some of these pictures are included on this page.  if you have any images of the works or further information about the site, we would be very interested in hearing from you.  In the meantime, please enjoy these images.

This plan above shows the east - west LD&ECR and the north - south East Coast Main Line at Tuxford.  It clearly shows the connecting chord with the Loco Depot within the triangle.  The Wagon Works are situated outside the curve on the northern side of the LD&ECR.  The platforms of the twin level Dukeries Junction Station was situated on and below the bridge over the ECML.
All of the pictures below were taken within the area included on the map.

^ Tuxford Loco Depot in 1945 with J11 5214 basking in the sunshine

^ Part of the LD&ECR's locomotive works at Tuxford where originally nearly 130 men were employed in the repair and maintenance of engines and rolling stock.  Most prominent are the 'sheer legs' for hoisting large parts such as boilers from locomotive frames.  To the left of these are two steam engine boilers from a Sheffield firm and next to them, two four wheeled passenger carriages, which had been bought second hand from the Great Eastern Railway.
^ An LD&ECR 6 wheel brake 3rd on the traverser at Tuxford Wagon Works
^ O4 63722 stands on the LD&EC Mainline outside Tuxford Works
^Pictured outside the offices now occupied by our model railway shop, this image was taken in 1930. 
It shows the employees attending an 'improvement class'.
^ Dukeries Junction station photographed about 1920 looking south with the GNR main line to the right. This footpath, half a mile from the nearest road to Tuxford, was the only pedestrian access to the station.  All LD&ECR passenger trains running between Chesterfield and Lincoln stopped here and at the company's Tuxford station, compared with only a selection of GNR local trains, that company being more interested in maintaining a service to and from its own Tuxford station.
^ Dukeries Junction Station closed in July 1955, this is a  view looking north along the ECML.
^ Taken in 1975, this picture shows the now closed works with the track lifted.
Thanks to Phil Whitehead for the above images.
^The now empty offices await their next tenant.

The following pictures, taken by Chris Austin in 1975, show the works in a rather dilapidated condition.

The building in which we now have our shop and workshop, back in 1975.

 1992, the wagon works have a new lease of life as an industrial estate. 

January 2013: Passengers return to Tuxford and the LD&ECR.
 A special train, top and tailed by class 66's, passes Tuxford Wagon Works as it heads for High Marnham
A New Signal Box for Tuxford.
The former Midland Railway Type 4c Signal Box from Sneinton is to be re-erected at Tuxford as part of continuing developments at the Network Rail, Rail Innovation and Development Centre.   After almost 100 years in its previous location near Nottingham, the box which dates from 26th July 1914 arrived at Tuxford in early August 2013.  It is proposed that the box will stand close to the site previously occupied by Tuxford West Signal Box.  The picture shows the top half of the structure shortly after arrival.
 
   Top of Page

If you find any errors or broken links on site, please contact info@thegoodsyard.co.uk